Hi I’m Ilona and I’m the one that ‘runs the place’. After years of being ‘on the road’ I have happily taken the ‘office job’ to ensure things stay on track within our chauffeur business. My role consists of pretty much everything, other than the driving…. honestly, this is best left up to the professionals.
We have 2 x teenage boys which I haven’t strangled … yet!!
I enjoy working and when time allows reading real crimes and autobiographies as well as a bit of craft from time to time. Love socialising and spending time with people and I love to cook & bake (when I ‘feel like it’ not on demand), dancing and singing to ‘old’ songs (although I shouldn’t with my voice), going away in our caravan and holidays in general.
I would do the gardening by choice (NOT) and lucky for me my husband is obsessed with ours so who am I to take that away from him?
I DON’T drink wine … (I know … just lost some friends … or perhaps gained some being you don’t need to share) … my thing is quality ice cream, and purely to support local business – Haighs milk freckles.
// Why did you decide to go into business?
Pretty much the cost of childcare. I couldn’t justify the costs when I calculated the trek in and out of the CBD, fuel, parking etc let alone the actual childcare costs themselves (lets not even mention that someone else would be ‘raising our kids’), put simply in my eyes it wasn’t worth going back to the corporate world.
// What do you love most about working for yourself?
Being flexible and working around our family commitments. Plus I decide when I want/need to call it a day (although I find it ‘tough’ to leave the office …. as there’s always something to do). It has it’s challenges but I figure we ‘run the show’ the way we want to do things and I have enough discipline to get things done without someone over my shoulder plus I am forever learning new things.
// What do you love most about your role?
The fact that I have made it work around me, plus I can ‘pick it up’ and work outside the office any time I need to. I love implementing things and making sure we are all on the same page for uniformity and ensuring my expectations are met. I am a firm believer of not asking others to do things I wouldn’t do myself, passing on feedback (of any kind … especially the great stuff to our drivers) and communicating with everyone we work with, drivers, PA’s, corporates etc
// Lets talk South Australia, What do you love most about doing business here?
The way South Aussies work together and that most of us are willing to help others when they need a hand. We are spoilt with so many great things in this state many of which we can all be proud of. We have unique state, which has so much other states envy and it turns out we’re ‘not just a little backyarder’ after all!
// What advice would you give other women wanting to start a business?
- Think past the ‘now’ and about where things could possibly take you (even if you aren’t interested in expanding / changing things etc)
- Set things up so they can be easily amended if need be eg:
- Being a Sole trader vs partnership (find out what these actually mean)
- Bank account set up & trust accounts
- Speak to your accountant before delving in to anything
- Look at what systems you would considering putting in place whether that be accounting/database/office procedures etc
- What if you have kids (or need to look after them for a while)
- Can someone step into your role if you need to take time away (god forbid if you actually wanted to go on holidays)?
- What if you ‘earn more’ and your partner joins your business/becomes Mr Mum?
- What happens if you want/need to sell your business …. and yes I am living proof you can sell your business on Gumtree … who would’ve thought 😛